About Me

My photo
I'm on an adventure to live my dreams. As I go on this journey I may be inspired to write, to cook, to craft, to travel more, whatever it is, I'm enjoying it as I'm lead there.

Sunday 29 March 2015

Journey into Holy Week

After three months of attending an Anglican church, I have began reflecting on so much more then I ever thought was possible. I've often reflected on how I now recognize how I don't need fancy music or fancy lights, or big "shows" and big emotions in order to worship. It's not that I ever thought these things were negative things, and for many people it is important. But then I began asking myself what would happen if I took all those things away? Would I still worship God in the same way? Would I still be genuine in my servant hood? And would I still want to continue to seek and to serve?

This was a whole new level of my journey.

This took me to a whole new place.

This journey took me to a whole new spiritual life.

Today I sat for Palm Sunday and as I turned to the back of the church to listen to the gospel being read and for the procession of the branches to begin, I realized that my mind, my heart and my eyes have all been opened to a new spiritual journey. If you would have asked me a few months ago when the last day of lent was and what was the beginning and then again what was the significance, there was no way I could have expressed it. Then comes Holy Week which I am sure I never thought about before these past couple of months.

In the past few weeks the church has been preparing for Holy Week which in the Christian church should really be considered the height of our belief, but yet, here I was. After growing up and experiencing the Christian church for so many years I have never once experienced Holy week to this degree...and I certainly never called it Holy Week.

I reflected on Palm Sunday's in my past and as I did I thought about one particular Sunday when I was a child, where the pastor had all the children held branches on the way in, with probably some type of music playing in the background as we so gently waved our palms up and down and everyone watched thinking how cute those little wee children are. Then we laid them down up front and that was the end of it. That's all I remember from Palm Sunday. Today I reflected on that and more. I am thankful for those past moments in my life in which I can carry forward on my journey, but I am expectant of what is to come for this so called Holy Week and many other new experiences.

The beauty of celebrating each night with something different leading up to the climax of the gospel story is astounding to me. Spending Good Friday in three hours worth of service just to commemorate the crucifixion and then celebrating on Easter Sunday in different ways, seems to bring this whole gospel to a whole new level. It brings it to a new type of celebration rather then just another day. And shouldn't that be in fact what it is... A CELEBRATION!

My heart stirs with change. I think being somewhere and experiencing something the same way again and again for some many years causes many people to become complacent and it appears ordinary and the same thing every year. And perhaps I will be more familiar with the holy week activities more so next year, but as for this year, I am moved, I am challenged and I am perplexed as to the effort and the celebration that goes into this.

So...what am I saying? Change...it's not as scary as one may think. Sometimes our faith shifting can bring more revelation and more reflection and more celebration to our faith then we ever thought was possible. This change has created a spark in me. It has caused me to become excited about my faith again. It has challenged me to think differently about who I am in Christ. It has challenged me to think differently about the Easter gospel celebration.

Perhaps you have been in the same place? I was scared of shifting before. But now I realize how this faith shifting has stirred something new in me. Allow God to lead you to new places and on a different journey. It's how we grow and expand.

I know not everyone will feel the same way about their faith. But here I am. I needed to have a shift in order to reevaluate and to cut down the old tree and replant a new one. It grows the same way, it is the same species but it is a little fresher and a little more vibrant. It's a little more thirsty because it wants to grow all over again, maybe even a little stronger and a little wiser this time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment